- When everything is a lie, lie detectors are akin to mousetraps where rats are extinct. What we need is a truth detector. Philosophy ought to be that touchstone to detect truth.
- When one’s inheritance is from the cloud every one is a prnce or a princess.
- Will Durant tells the Story of Philosophy in over 600 pages and Kant takes 800 pages for the Critique of Pure Reason. Yet the story is far from complete. Schopenhauer laments, “ I could not find a shorter way of imparting it than this book, The World as Will and Idea.
- Philosophy has gone out of fashion. We should not expect the princes to wade through the semantic swamp of philosophy and the other disciplines and come up with a new synthesis.
- The shorter way, a new synthesis, is an imperative. A picture is worth thousand words is an understatement which discounts the value of maps, and mapping. Text can never be free of slipperiness and linearity. We need more maps and pictures to avoid killing more trees, more so when reading has given way to viewing. Visual literacy has become a critical competency.
- The perceived normal is the abnormal. We can now see the truly normal
- History is Philosophy in motion (Croce). Pull down the tent poles of space and time, history and philosophy collapse to the present and the two meet. The true historian (all history is lies and it is always His story not hers and western philosophy is no different) and the true philosopher would meet at this moment of truth. The artist,scientist, theologian and the pursuers of other paths too would meet at the same cross roads if the synthesis is effective. We would be saving a lot of wasted effort when all of us use the same philosopher’s compass.
- Most of our partners in dialogue had their background in business, governance and developmental management. We worked together to arrive at the common ground since it is from here that accelerated community learning takes off.
- Less is more. “Brevity is the soul of wit.”
- > Connect > Occam’s razor
- Philosopher’s stone
- Intelligence > Problem Solving> Continual improvement
- Why AI, artificial intelligence > Modeling NI, natural intelligence, with gainful compression of knowledge
we have to flock together for creating /devising development management agenda with market orientation
dean IIM Shillong
Thanks Prof. Shajahan
The best way to get together would be to organise an annual event for Developmental Managers to come together and share their learning with colleagues. Can IIM (S) initiate this and be the platform
Pingback: Metaphoria of transformation « First Discipline
Pingback: 2010 in review « First Discipline
Pingback: The First Discipline Framework « First Discipline
Pingback: Meta: The post on posts | First Discipline