We take the two panes together so that the contrast helps us to grasp the nature of the problem, like black vs. white a duality. We hold the view that a duality is nothing but a gate to learning.
Without black we cannot make sense of white. When we put it in black and white, we put only the black. White is the context. Meaning is contextual – relative, in comparison. Same goes for good and bad, true and false, war and peace. In the same way if performance need to be put in perspective we need to hold potential with performance together and make sense
The potential quadrant is of a conceptual nature whereas the performance quadrant is the tangible physical world as in design of a car and the car.
In the potential quadrant
- Ground zero is the meeting point between all quadrants the position of the observer symbolised by the eye/ self.
- Level of maps
- The level of the clock – all simple machines, a bullet leaving the barrel of a gun
- Systems with self – regulation
- Level of the unicellular.
- Level of the plant
- Level of the animal
- Level of the individual human
- Level of groups, organizations, Community
10. Meta – all accumulated and potential future knowledge
Potential is emergent from positioning and alignment with all levels. InRamayana, the journey of Rama, Ravana, the anti- hero has ten heads (nine more heads within) corresponding to all the levels, yet he fails to win the heroine.
In the performance quadrant the gap between potential and performance begins from the level of the human. We can improve, but do not in aggregate terms. The blue ocean space is the collective unrealised potential of the system or in other words, the waste.
Metrics deals with the reduction in waste (pollution, illness, suicides) the measure of net improvements, real progress, the reduction in the gap between potential and performance. The journey is in the right direction if continual renewal / improvement results.